Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Contraction Squats - Practicing For A Contraction

Wanting to have a natural birth? If so, it's important to practice your mind-body connection through discomfort. This is key during labor and delivery. Learning that what you are going through is "positive pain" instead of "I can't do this!" or "I'm going to split in half!" is a hard thing to practice and to master. This is why I have my prenatal clients practice "contraction squats". 

After teaching my clients their belly breathing (inhale-push the abdominals outward, exhale-pull the abdominals in and upward), I have them use it during a 1 minute squat hold. This helps them to focus on their breathing, increases their muscular stamina, and teaches them to work through their discomfort with positive reinforcement. It also gives them a very SMALL glimpse into how their mind and body will work together through a contraction. This offers great practice and preparation for the real thing.

Different squats I try with my prenatal clients:

Wall sit


Wall Sit With Ball


Deep Squat


Chair Pose


Practice never makes perfect, but it definitely helps you get better! And that's all you can do, is your best. Getting ready for labor and delivery is hard and can be scary. But getting prepared and strong will not only increase your physical strength, but also your mental and emotional strength as well. Making a strong bond with your mind-body connection is key. This squat is a great way to get that started!




No comments:

Post a Comment